Cyber Security Tips for Small Businesses
No matter the size or purpose of your business, cyber security is important to keep your data and network secure. Small and medium sized businesses are a target for criminals trying to access confidential data because of the lack of security many small companies invest in and are aware of.
The Department of Homeland Security established October as National Cyber Security Awareness Month to help educate business owners as well as everyday Americans on the importance of cyber security. To help support this cause that we find vital for all businesses, the computer experts at Maryland Computer Service have provided tips for you to keep your network secure.
Six Tips for Business Owners
- Secure your Wi-Fi passwords. When creating a password for your wireless internet, make it difficult and not obvious. Be sure that only you and your employees know this password and it is not written down in plain view. If you would like customers to have access to free internet, have a guest network that is strictly for non-employees.
- Educate employees on cyber security practices. Maintaining security is a group effort in a business. Establish rules of behavior when it comes to confidential information, social media, downloading data, and other internet practices. If needed, have employees sign a confidentiality agreement to help protect your business from security breaches.
- Lock unattended computers. Every computer in your business that contains important documents should only be able to be accessed with a password. This will help you if your laptop gets misplaced or stolen.
- Protect your computers against viruses, spyware, and malware. Something as simple as a virus can ruin your company’s computers and leak confidential information. Install a cyber-security program to help protect your networks from harmful viruses and spyware.
- Back up important documents. Regularly back up the data on every computer in your business using cloud computing. Cloud computing is safe and can be accessed by only those who have access from any computer at any time. This will help you down the line if something happened to your system and all files were lost.
- Invest in IT professionals to analyze and improve your current security. A reliable IT company can analyze your current protection plan, help you find weak spots in your network, detect threats, and help you improve your security practices.
Learn More from Maryland Computer Service
Cyber security is important for all businesses. Take action now before it’s too late and invest in IT professionals to help you in establishing cyber security. If you are in the Mid-Atlantic and would like more information on cyber security, contact Maryland Computer Service. We have been providing reliable IT services to business owners across the area for over 10 years.
Some of our services include:
Contact us today or give us a call at (301) 202-6521 to learn more!